Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Learning
This article discusses the advantages and disadvantages of online learning. There are many advantages to online learning when compared to traditional classrooms, but there are also some disadvantages.
Some of the advantages of online leaning reported by students include:
- Class work can be scheduled around work and family obligations
- Online learning can accommodate different learning styles and provide a variety of learning activities that may not be possible in traditional face to face learning
- Online learning reduces the travel time and cost for attending face to face instruction
- When allowed, self-paced learning modules allow students to work at their own pace
- Students can usually study anywhere they have access to a computer and the internet
- Online learning may be more student centered if it allows students the option to select learning materials that meet their level of knowledge and interest.
Some of the Disadvantages of Online Learning
- Students who are not highly motivated or have poor study habits, may fall behind and find it difficult to stay up with the required work.
- Students may feel isolated from their instructor and other students.
- Slow internet connections may make it difficult or time consuming to access online course materials.
- Classes that require hands-on lab work may be difficult to simulate in an online class.
- Students who don't have good digital file management skills may or with beginner level computer skills may find the complexity of file downloads difficult and hard to keep organized.
- Instructors may not always be available at times that are convenient for students.
The articles below five a more thorough review of the advantages and disadvantages of online learning.
The Advantages Of Online Learning - Undeniably, the greatest benefit to be found in online learning is the possibility itself of giving people who wouldn’t otherwise be able to attend classes, an education alternative. The time and geographical location flexibility along with the self-paced, self-motivated and tailored learning methods can bring positive and innovative dimensions to the education field, of which e-courses have been witnessing a steady growth.
The Disadvantages Of Online Learning - The most relevant disadvantages of online learning are directly tied to the specificities of the web environment itself that bring people to choose this method of education. The nonexistence of a physical classroom, flexible schedules and reduced personal interaction are all factors that attract people, but have their own negative aspects that should be highlighted.More articles about the Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Learning
Making the Case for Online Learning - Susan Patrick - The president and CEO of the International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL) explains why the time for online education is now.
The New World of Teaching Online - Teaching online has become a vital, supportive, and collaborative part of the delivery of education and educational materials to both students and teachers alike.
You can link to this article at Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Learning